1) I've lived in Trail, Nelson, Kelowna, Chilliwack and Victoria. The first three were all before age six. Even though I live in probably the most beautiful city in BC-- I still miss the familiarity of Chilliwack and many people there.
2) I've gone from wanting to be a teacher, to a medical office assistant to a graphic designer/web designer in a span of a few years... yet "thought" I knew what I wanted to be since I was six!
3) I moved to Victoria the morning after Prom Night. My favourite photo is me posing in my dress with packing boxes.
4) I have never played a team sport, but I really enjoyed rock climbing-- even though I can't stand on a table for fear of heights.
5) My favourite food is probably a drumstick with caramel in the center--- not the chicken kind of drumstick--- the ice cream cone with chocolate drizzle and peanuts in a package. Probably the trashiest thing ever--- but also the most satisfying.
6) I'm probably the klutizest person ever. I'm constantly walking into walls, tripping, falling or dropping something. You'd think I'd have to be tall and lanky or something-- but I'm 5'3.
7) I am terrified of hairdressers. They always ignore me at the last second and do something drastic-- or not drastic enough and charge you an arm and a leg. Yesterday was the first haircut I have approved of in four years.
8) I have a bachelor’s degree in history. It still doesn't feel like I do, though. I skipped out of the ceremony because they make me nervous, and I didn't want to be tapped on the head in front of an auditorium of people. I can't decide if I regret it or not.
9) I love dressing up. Halloween is my favourite—but any time there is a chance to put on a costume- I’m there.
10) If I could change anything about Victoria-- I would open up an Emily Carr Art School here. High school art was largely a joke, and Art Education classes at university weren't much better. I would die and go to heaven if I could have access to some of the illustration assignments-- I'd love to see what I could do. I've always wanted to illustrate children's books and greeting cards.
11) I’m kind of a nerd. I finished my last university class in June and I’ve actually been having lecture/essay withdrawal.
12) I have 5 tattoos and I’m hoping to get more. I would love to get a shoulder piece done… but I’m a little nervous. The man who did my swallow tattoo took over and ignored the colours I wanted. I still like it—but as an artist I’m scared of giving up my vision. I notice so many tattoos where the perspective or proportions are off and it makes me cringe. Another man tried to draw what I wanted twice, and the girl’s face looked like a deformed pig so I gave up.
13) I may knit dolls but I also love Marilyn Manson. I used to have only his cds in my player as a teenager. I love his historical referencing and the spooky quality to his music. I’ve been listening to heavier/darker music since I was a kid (literally—I liked Rob Zombie when I was 8) but I was a totally goodie goodie and was on the A honours list all through school.
14) My biggest goal in life is to be a mom. I know in our society it’s not considered that much of an aspiration--- but I can’t wait to be a mom—take care of them, go on nature walks, do crafts, read to them, teach them things- Obviously there are a lot of tantrums, sleepless nights, and bodily functions to contend with—but it’s so worth it.
15) I love making lesson plans. I got an A in curriculum planning at University. It's so fun creating an open ended project for other creative minds to run with. I had always planned on being a teacher, but Victoria is one of the hardest places to get work.