Hello! This is a little DIY I put together.
I always end up at the yarn shop staring blankly at the acres of yarn. I know which brands I use, but sometimes the colours are quite similar and I want to make sure that I'm purchasing the right one. For instance, there are two very similar shades of orange in Vanna's Choice, and I didn't want a doll with un-matching pigtails (aka a bad dye job).
I decided to create a yarn swatch ring to keep in my purse so I can stock up on my favourite yarns during sales!
To create the yarn swatch, buy a binder/ cue card ring. You can purchase these in a package at office supply stores like Staples
- First you get your yarn collection together, and cut snippets off the end.
- Double knot the yarn to the ring so it doesn't untie.
- Don't worry too much if the yarn is uneven, you can trim it later.
- Once all the yarn is tied on dampen, fix with hairspray, and smooth the yarn so all strands are facing the same direction (so it's easier to see each strand)
- Trim the edges and admire your handy-work!
So there you are! You can connect multiple rings together for different varieties (variegated, chunky, baby fine, etc)